Thursday, April 8, 2010


Darren's Grandpa, Merrill Baker Robinson passed away this Easter Sunday at the long lived age of 93. I only had the opportunity to meet him a few times, but I learned a lot more about him at his funeral. He was a very smart man, he served a mission, worked as a teacher, a principal, wrote text books and had a big family. The funeral service was held in Idaho at his home ward in Burley.

Now as we all know all too well.. every road trip has stories.. so here are a few of ours.

We drove up to Idaho Tuesday afternoon after getting the car packed and hitting the road I realized we didn't get Corbin's pack-n-play crib or his stroller. Nice. But we decided we'd be fine and continued. Corbin did OK the first two hours in the car, but after dinner and not wanting to take a nap Mom had to play peek-a-boo and keep him entertained for another hour. That night Corbin decided to stay awake until 11pm before I finally took him out of Grandma's room and tried to get him to go to sleep. Bad idea. He was beyond the point of tired to go down easy so after Darren and I both running out of ways to soothe him I took him out in the parking lot and circled the hotel in the car until he fell asleep. Then I had to pack him up a flight of stairs while asleep and get him to bed. I toss and turned all night worried about him sleeping in the bed with me. Then at 4am he woke up crying. Again I couldn't get him back to sleep and I didn't want to wake everyone in the hotel up, so off to the car we went. Well I didn't have my contacts in and it was dark so I couldn't see anything very well so I could only circle the parking lot in fear I'd run into something if I ventured out onto any main roads. People were loading in their cars and I can only imagine what they where thinking seeing me slowly circle the parking lot over and over. But when he was finally asleep I took him back to the room.

But this ended up paying off for the car ride home. He was so tired from not sleeping well that night that he took a nap for the first hour of the funeral, and then sleep the whole way home! He didn't wake up until we were almost to Orem. It was good to see everyone in Darren's family and I'm glad his Grandpa is finally with the love of his life again in heaven.

1 comment:

Amy and Cody said...

No fun circling the parking lot at 4 am, I'm sure it wasn't too warm either. Good tribute to Darren's Grandpa :).